Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Running Induction Plan

It has been quite a while since I have had any sort of regimented plan for working out and building up a base. I'm going to be starting back this week with the 8 week induction plan I wrote out a few years ago. This is a plan that I have shared with many family members and friends, and they've all had various levels of success with the plan. This is the first time I will be trying it with Alex. I approached him a few weeks ago about possibly doing a regular running routine, and he said he was interested. Starting today (no time like the present) we will be starting the plan. We will do the runs outside, so instead of running the 3 mile loop we have established around the house, we will just do an out and back run. We will focus on the intervals, and we won't specifically pace the runs. We'll take it easy, and I think this will be a great way of easing back into running for me, and at the same time providing Alex with a way to get into running by chipping away at distance and adding a bit of run time each week. In the past I have been over eager, and this has led to injury. I am starting now because I don't want that sort of thing to become a problem as I move through the winter. I want to start now on building up a base level of fitness, plan a few weeks in the winter for active recovery, ramp up training a bit in early spring, then have a few more weeks of active recovery later in the spring before really focusing on specialized distance training for Timberman. Recovery is a thing I have not afforded myself enough in the past, and I have consistently paid the price in ending up injured by the end of the season.