Thursday, August 29, 2013

Tapering

The caffeine taper continues. Starting today, I will be limiting my caffeine intake to one cup per day. A few days of this, and I will move to having one cup of half-caf. Alex got up with me at 5:45 this morning with no complaints. We did Week 1 of the 8 week plan, and it went really well. The run intervals were only one minute, but I could see that as we were progressing through the intervals, he was having an easier time with the running and his speed was picking up. That is a promising sign. I started taking the Strattera last night, and I'm not sure if it was just a reaction to the medicine but I had a heck of a time sleeping last night. I feel foggy today, but the last thing I want to do is pump myself full of caffeine and wreck my taper. That's something I have become more aware of through this process - backsliding can create a negative loop, and it needs to be avoided at all costs. It will take around two weeks to get the dosage under control for the Strattera, and in the meantime my plan is to be done with caffeine by the end of that time. I think I can keep everything on track. It will make for some tired days, but as long as I can keep working out through the process, I will come out the other side all the better off. Alex enjoyed the run this morning and he is committed as well. I feel good about this because it isn't just about me. It is about making him a healthier kid, and getting him into a good routine. By chipping away at the plan it gives him a sense of accomplishment, and I think it will benefit him mentally as well. If he is healthier, he is going to be more focused.